One of the things we have struggled with this past year is how our personal voices should play a role in this 6 year old company. Should it be edgier and more radical? Should it be softer and G-rated? Should be a politics-free space? Or should we perhaps shine a light and not shy away from discussing the forces that are shaping our world?
What we’ve realized in the process is: these questions are irrelevant. It’s less important to be focused on what our voices sound like, and more important that we are simply speaking as our authentic selves - the rest will fall into place. The world needs us all to do this now more than ever.
If there was a lesson to be learned in 2015, it’s to be yourself and be self-aware enough to know when you are straying from who you really are. It’s always worth it to get back to your baseline. A great way to do this is by carving out time to reflect. The Holstee crew teamed up and created a guide for doing this, which is publicly available here.
Still, sometimes we need a little help from our friends. So we humbly request, if you ever feel Holstee is straying from our path and our voice, call us out on it. And we’ll do everything we can to make sure it doesn’t happen.
Like last month's founder update, we want to share a few things we've been reading, watching and thinking about this December.
Links our team shared this month:
- There is something extraordinary happening in the world. [Read]
- Nietzsche on How to Find Yourself and the True Value of Education. [Read]
- Gaga gets real, really real. [Watch]
- An hour long mix to jam to while working. [Listen]
In our kitchens:
- Mike’s making: Persian inspired oatmeal! Rolled oats, whole milk, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, cardamom, honey and a tiny drop of rose water.
- Dave’s drinking: Tulsi (Holy Basil) Tea. It’s delicious, stress-relieving and energizing. It’s a go-to warm beverage for the winter. Bonus: it’s caffeine free, and packed with antioxidants.
As always, we’d love to hear from you.
Happy end of 2015: the best is yet to come!
Mike and Dave
Love to write?
Every month we select at few writers to help us explore what it means to live a life of reflection and intention. Reach out to Helen, our editor at Helen.W@holstee.com to learn more
Like Mindfull Matter?
You are going to love The Holstee Subscription. Every month we explore one new mindful theme through art, words, and action. Sign up today and get your inspiration delivered!Learn More