My good friend and a fellow entrepreneur once told me that the more you fail, the better it is for you. I didn't agree with him entirely but I did see some truth. Now I understand that without failing and without starting small, you truly can’t grow. Here is how I have failed this year summed up by what I have learned on the entrepreneurial journey:
- Don’t take anyone's advice too seriously unless they are A. members of your family you look up to, B. are saying it passionately or C. have a motive for your sake and not only want to share This-is-what-I-know/experienced.
- If you are working on a product of any sort and are lacking certain skills, don’t build it without a partner who fulfills those skills. This can be a partner on any level, but certainly don’t work with contractors if you don’t understand their work.
- Don’t attempt anything too big and don’t change the timeframe for deliverables after you haven’t met them a second time. Rather, change the deliverable!
- Don’t take anything too much to heart. Each person is on their own journey and anything they say or do might have been said or done completely differently, had it occurred five seconds before.
- Relax, rest and rejuvenate. Rehab at the end of the year is not the answer. Often we attempt too much too quickly, in one day or one week or even one year. Until this year headaches were unfamiliar. I've learned mental health is mandatory!
- Try to appreciate what you are doing at the beginning of each morning. Five years ago most of the activities you are doing today would have sounded fascinating, fun and rewarding. If they suddenly bore/irritate you, something is not right! A reminder for why and what you are doing will help this situation. Even a one sentence manifesto above the bed can remind you of your goals and inform you of when it's time to move on.
- I have set goals and New Year's resolutions over 30 times in my life (this includes the Jewish new year and hence is a higher amount than my age). This time, I am setting them here. I aim to follow each of the above and while I will continue to fail, hopefully I will be listening to my own advice and those that should be listened to, working alongside a couple of able individuals this year, working with realistic targets (semantically and time frame appropriate), brush off anything offensive, take care of myself and appreciate this journey each day because I chose it!
Sharonna Karni Cohen is the Founder & CEO of Dreame (bonus: use discount code mymindmydreame for holiday savings), an art startup that turns imaginations and visions into art. She is a Board Member and Co-Pioneer of Streets which is responsible for publishing the world's first urban crowd-sourced book. Sharonna grew up in Tel Aviv and London and received her Bachelor of Applied Science (BASc) from the University of Bristol.
Begin your day feeling grounded and inspired.
A free 30-day email series where we share the most impactful stories and ideas that have helped us on our journey to live a more meaningful life.
✌️ Free. Unsubscribe anytime.
“I’m in the midst of big life transitions at the moment, chasing book deals, relocating, taking risks, carving out a life that feels honest, so your emails have been a perfectly timed source of inspiration and reassurance.” Jo in London, Great Britain
"Love the emails! They are a great reset or what I would call mindful chiropractic adjustment to approaching the day. Thank you!" Laurie in Albuquerque, New Mexico
"I love the emails. They give me a new perspective and things to think about and apply in my life." Monica in Johannesburg, South Africa
"It's food for the soul and sets my spiritual compass in the right direction." Farahdiva Samsul in Assam, India
"Absolutely LOVE the daily emails. One of the only email subscriptions I read daily. Keep them coming!!" Adriana in New York, New York
"The emails are thought-provoking and uplifting. A little pause from the crazy happenings of modern life. A quick chance to reflect, smile, and think about a life lived mindfully." Pharan in Queensland, Australia
"I have thoroughly enjoyed the Mindfully Mailed series. Daily I await this little nugget of goodness to hit my inbox each day." Tambria in Shreveport, Louisiana
Welcome to Holstee
Living with intention is an ongoing practice, not a destination. Inspired by this, we’ve created a range of products to help you on your journey to live both fully and mindfully, including the Holstee Membership, Reflection Cards, and our recently-launched Reflection.app.
This article is part of our series on the theme of .EXPLORE →
Inspiration and tools to help you live a more meaningful life.VISIT THE SHOP →