"Don't think. Thinking is enemy of creativity. It’s self-conscious, and anything self-conscious is lousy. You can't try to do things. You simply must do things." - Ray BradburyTweet It!
- Go somewhere new. Traveling or moving to a new place can be expensive and overwhelming. Taking a different route on your normal morning commute can boost your creativity. It improves your awareness and allows your brain to make new connections as opposed to coasting on autopilot.
- Pick up/learn other skills. Like taking a different route, picking up a new hobby or learning a new skill also helps your brain work in a different way. It provides a fresh constraint on your mind and forces you to focus in unique ways.
- Work at it (practice makes better). We’ve all heard that practice makes perfect, but it’s the type of practice involved that makes a difference. Deliberate practice is about pushing yourself beyond the good plateau. It's what further pushes you up the expert ladder.
- Think wrong. It’s beneficial to ignore the instant connections the brain makes and hash out many ideas before executing. It’s about challenging the status quo and embarking on a unique journey with an unknown destination.
- Share & be confident. You should spread your ideas and creativity like wildfire. Be confident that you're putting in the work to earn the feedback. There’s a great quote, “Done is better than perfect.” that nails down this idea. You have to follow through with your ideas to learn and grow from them. Letting the ideas live in the world opens them up to feedback and what we're all striving for, progress.
Sources (and additional reading):
Find A Different Route To Work And Exercise Your Brain
Why "Deliberate Practice" Is The Only Way To Keep Getting Better
Done Is Better Than Perfect
Andrew Martis is a graphic designer and lover of letterforms. He's been to known to eat an entire pizza in one sitting and is constantly riding his bike in search of his next cup of coffee. He's the type of guy you'd want to like hang out with and bring home to mom because he's that rad.
Start the day feeling grounded and inspired with our 30 day Reflections series.
Join thousands of people who have received the 30-day Reflections email series and enjoyed a daily moment to reflect, smile, and think about a life lived mindfully.
Free. Unsubscribe anytime.
“I’m in the midst of big life transitions at the moment, chasing book deals, relocating, taking risks, carving out a life that feels honest, so your emails have been a perfectly timed source of inspiration and reassurance.” Jo in London, Great Britain
"Love the emails! They are a great reset or what I would call mindful chiropractic adjustment to approaching the day. Thank you!" Laurie in Albuquerque, New Mexico
"I love the emails. They give me a new perspective and things to think about and apply in my life." Monica in Johannesburg, South Africa
"It's food for the soul and sets my spiritual compass in the right direction." Farahdiva Samsul in Assam, India
"Absolutely LOVE the daily emails. One of the only email subscriptions I read daily. Keep them coming!!" Adriana in New York, New York
"The emails are thought-provoking and uplifting. A little pause from the crazy happenings of modern life. A quick chance to reflect, smile, and think about a life lived mindfully." Pharan in Queensland, Australia
"I have thoroughly enjoyed the Mindfully Mailed series. Daily I await this little nugget of goodness to hit my inbox each day." Tambria in Shreveport, Louisiana
Welcome to Holstee
Our monthly membership helps conscious people (like you!) live a more meaningful life through actionable guide, inspiring art, thought-provoking content and a like-minded community.BECOME A MEMBER
Distilled from our Manifesto, positive psychology, the science of mindfulness, and ancient philosophic studies we have identified twelve themes core to living both fully and mindfully. We mapped these twelve themes to each of the twelve months in a year. Together with our community we explore one each month.VIEW OUR THEMES