You are enough.
“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow." - Melody Beattie
We feel like we aren’t “enough”, so we constantly push ourselves to live up to other people’s expectations.
The truth is — whether we realize it or not — we have, we do, and we are enough. This is a personal mantra for our Creative & Communications Lead, Jennifer Lioy, and it was the inspiration for this month’s Gratitude Art, which she designed.
Each November, the theme of Gratitude is front and center at Holstee and I am reminded that what I have is, indeed, enough. And that despite what the outside world tries to tell me, or sell me, I am enough, too.
Once we fully internalize and believe this, we can start living with a mindset of abundance rather than scarcity — a concept we will explore further in next Monday’s Reflection post.
You are, and that is enough.
P.S. This month’s Gratitude Guide challenges each of us to keep a running list of all the things we are grateful for and, each day, add a few more items.
Here are mine for today:
- It was raining earlier, so I am glad to be warm and dry at home.
- I am grateful for video calls. Since I live far from my family, I appreciate being able to see and speak with them. It brings me a lot of joy.
- I am grateful for crisp apples that are now in season.
- I am grateful for jazz music.
- I am grateful for you. You are the reason I am writing this right now, and you are enabling this deep sense of gratitude I am feeling. Thank you.
P.P.S. Here is a quick look at the Gratitude Art!